Thursday, April 14, 2005

Notice of Non-Responsibility

I recently saw a Notice of Non-Responsibility on the (sadly now-closed) cafe where I first met my fiancée. The note said the owner of the property just learned about, and was not responsible for, work of improvement going on there. This apparently has something to do with mechanic's liens, something having to do with avoiding being forced to pay twice for the same work and, no doubt, with other little quirks of the law.

The following poem by W.C. Williams is widely anthologizd:

This Is Just To Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold



It is also widely parodied, deservedly so in my view. Kenneth Koch's Variations on a Theme by William Carlos Williams will probably be paired with the original till the end of time.

Here's an excellent parody
by st of short hope unfiltered from a crocodile-theme d-poem thread at ObWi.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home