Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Honey, where's the dramamine?

A crackerjack illusion which I'm unable to look at for more than a few seconds.

My tentative explanation to a friend:

"I'd hazard that there are slight differences in each image and when your eye
saccades from one spot to another it finds a rotated version of what it had just observed,
producing the illusion of turning." On reflection I thought that this would imply an integrated rotation rate of 0, while from memory I thought all the rotation was in one direction, but on careful brief inspections I think 0 is correct.

The authoritative gobbledygook for those too mesmerized or migraine-apt to notice the link.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a truly puzzling illusion thats easier on the eyes but very hard on your mind.

http://web.mit.edu/persci/people/adelson/checkershadow_illusion.html

10/4/05 07:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home